Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Word or Two on Names

As I worked on writing chapter three of Moonlit, I noticed something I never really saw before. I have and awful lot of people whose names begin with "L." First we meet Lyka and Lowell Theron. Not too much of a stretch there to imagine twins with names beginning with the same letter. Alf also has an "L" name, as his call sign is his initials - A.L.F. But, we don't know what his middle name is at this time. Then we hear about Lupe, a retired FLI agent, who lives near Lyka. Lupe's real name is Lorelai, adding two more "L's" to the mix. Next there is my current favorite, Alexia "Lexi" Lyall, her name chock-a-block with "L's." Even one of the bad guys has an "L" name. Boris's last name is Lyulf.

In fact, as I am going over all the names of the (mostly) good guys in this story, the only one without an "L" somewhere in his name is Duncan MacCoinin, a character only mentioned so far as a FLI officer who is good with codes. I don't know if it really bothers me that there are so many "L's" in this story, but I thought it was noteworthy. So I looked into the (mostly) baddies in the story. The only ones with names so far are: Boris Lyulf, Arnulf Boxer, and Kendra Kenley. Not too uniform there, but I am going for a theme with the bad guys. I am not quite ready to reveal that yet, because it may not work out the way I hope.

Bottom line: I have obviously decided to put a lot of thought into the names of my characters, and strangely enough a lot of them are "L" words. If you keep track of the names, it will become more and more obvious which side you should root for and which ones you should anxiously await their defeat scenes. Happy hunting!

1 comment:

  1. Likely, you Love the Lightly Lilting Lyrical quality the "L" Languishes on your characters. Leastwise, that's my Loony Lemma.

    ReplyDelete